Chow Chow is a beautiful representative of exotic breeds that needs not only physical activity and grooming procedures, but also high-quality, balanced nutrition. The health of the dog, its activity, mood, and longevity depend on this. How and what to feed the Chow-Chow so that the pet grows up healthy and active?
Natural Type of Feeding
From the age of 2 months, puppies enjoy drinking milk and eating minced meat. If the dog was purchased from a breeder, you should adhere to the previous diet for some time: a sudden change in it will be very stressful for the animal. With natural nutrition, it is better to give the dog:
- fresh meat (best of all – beef and pork);
- high-quality offal – heart, stomach, liver;
- dairy products – kefir, yogurt;
- boiled eggs;
- cereal products – barley, buckwheat, wheat groats. Barley is given to active and fast-growing dogs. Corn grits are neither harmful nor beneficial;
- seaweed is useful – it is added to the diet several times a week;
- from vegetables, tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini are useful. Cabbage is given stewed or boiled;
- from time to time dogs are given some nuts, berries.
The dog’s diet consists of 2 thirds of meat and 1 third of plant foods. Natural food should be mashed (mushy) and slightly warm.
The daily amount of natural food should fully correspond to the mode of physical activity, age, the weight of the dog. If you follow the basic rules of feeding, you can completely eliminate the risk of obesity, dystrophy, and pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract.
Choice of Dry Food
The best solution for Chow-Chow is dry food. All feeds have classes, of which the lowest quality is considered the economy category, and the most suitable are holistic. The breed is usually not prone to developing food allergies, so the choice is on dry food. If the animal is not obese, then premium food is the best solution.
Before you buy ready-made feed, you should carefully study its composition. In the first place in the list of ingredients should be meat. The abundance of by-products (most often it is waste) is a characteristic feature of cheap “economy” food. The feed of renowned manufacturers producing high-quality feed contains all the components necessary for health.
It is highly undesirable to have animal fats, mixtures, preservatives, dyes, and flavorings in the feed. The feed should have a neutral odor and a uniform structure. The too harsh specific smell emanating from the granules indicates that it was made with the addition of a large number of flavors, artificial colors, and low-quality raw materials.
Before feeding the puppy, dry food is poured with water and soaked for several minutes. This procedure is carried out in order to preserve the integrity of the teeth.
When feeding a ready-made diet, the animal must have constant access to clean drinking water. Moreover, the water should be changed as often as possible. If it became noticeable that the dog’s teeth are wearing off, then it is recommended to transfer it to natural feeding or change the food. The reasons for erasing the enamel lie in the fact that the pet is given low-quality food.
Amount of Food
It is difficult for dogs of small stature and weight to find the right amount of food so that they do not starve and overfeed. Both are categorically undesirable for a miniature animal.
Determining the optimal amount of feed is straightforward. If within 20 min. all food was not eaten, which means that the portion for the dog was large and should be reduced. And if the food was eaten quickly, and the pet is expecting an additional portion of food, then you need to satisfy the desire. In this simple way, you can determine the optimal amount of food.
It is recommended to feed adult dogs twice a day. But usually, the feeding regimen depends on the pace of life of the owner and his pet. The daily dose of food must be divided into 2 small doses. Store food in the refrigerator and warm it up a little before starting feeding. Puppies need to be fed more often – up to 5 times a day. As the portions of food increase, the number and frequency of feedings decrease.
These dogs are strictly prohibited from giving the following:
- tubular bone (especially chicken), broths prepared on the bones;
- pork in any species;
- bean products;
- all varieties of pasta;
- potatoes – as an exception, the pet can be given quite a bit of raw tuber, but this dressing should not be
- too frequent;
- any kind of sweet – dogs do not tolerate sugar, from which they develop liver and pancreas, diabetes;
- Tainted Products – from this they develop severe bowel disease and poisoning;
- all fat and smoked – dishes such a negative effect on the liver;
- meats, including sausage.
Prohibited giving excessive cold or hot food.
What You Need to Know About Feeding
Veterinary experts recommend adhering to certain rules when feeding Chow Chow:
- Prepared food for a dog does not need to be kept in the refrigerator for more than 3 days, although ready-made semi-finished products are sometimes frozen in the freezer for future storage. Cold food can seriously damage your pet’s health, causing it to have a sore throat.
- Meat should be given only beef or lamb. It should be free of bone and vein remnants. The meat is not given raw, but boiled a little or scalded with boiling water. This product is the main source of protein, and therefore it should be in the diet at all times. A little vegetable oil can be added to the puppy.\
- Overfeeding with meat is undesirable, especially for adults. They can be given a little offal. The liver is given only boiled and in small quantities.
- Fish is a valuable food – a source of essential amino acids and phosphorus. In the menu, it is introduced from 4 months. Fish are given without heads and fins, necessarily boiled. It is strictly forbidden to feed Chow-Chow with river fish, sea bass, and pollock.
- Fermented milk products are the most important source of calcium. The first place belongs to cottage cheese. Puppies are given homemade cottage cheese made from milk and kefir. Together with cottage cheese, they give a little whey (excessive overfeeding of it causes gastrointestinal upset). You can add kefir, acidophilic milk, fermented baked milk to the cottage cheese.
- The porridge is boiled in water or milk. A little vegetable oil is added to the porridge. Sweetening porridge is strictly prohibited. Black bread is useful for puppies and adult dogs – a source of vitamins of group B. It is undesirable to overfeed a pet with bread.
- After lunch, the dog should take some rest. At this time, you should not take the dog for a walk and arrange outdoor games for it.
Chow Chow is an active, mobile dog, so you should make sure that from the main feed it receives all the nutrients, vitamins, and microelements necessary for full development.